Olive bread! should I say more?! This loaf of goodness screams the freshness of the Mediterranean flavors!
Prep-time: 15 mins
Proofing time: 3 hours
Baking: 50-55 mins
500g of plain flour
25g fresh yeast (or 7g of active dry yeast)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp chilli flakes- Or pickled jalapeños
1 tsp dried thyme
2/3 cup green pitted olives
2/3 cup black pitted olives
360 ml lukewarm water
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients- flour, salt, rosemary, thyme and dried yeast.
- Add the lukewarm water to the flour.
- Knead the dough well.
- Add the olives and jalapeños and knead a bit more.
- Take a large bowl and grease it with olive oil, transfer the dough and cover with a clean towel. Let it rest for 2 hours and half at room temperature- Or until it triples in size.
- On a floured surface, flatten the dough and roll the edges inward.
- Place the dough in a deep over dish.
- Cover with a clean towel and let it rise again for 30-45 mins.
- Meanwhile turn the oven to 470F (240C).
- Bake for 25-30 mins with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 15-20 minutes at 440F (230C) to crisp the crust.
- Allow it to cool down before cutting.
- Baking the bread with a lid on creates steam that keeps the bread nice and soft from inside.
- Rinse the olives as the water they come in is very salty.
- My favourite way of eating olive bread is with hummus spread and tomato slices. Checkout my hummus recipe