Yes, you heard it right! VEGAN chicken lasagna. This stuff will turn heads! It’s simply beyond tasty!!
Prep-time: 1 hour and half
Serves: 4 persons
BECHAMEL (WHITE SAUCE)
- 50g flour
- 50g vegan butter
- 500ml plant milk- I used soy milk
- Nutmeg- Optional. It adds a cheesy flavor
- Black pepper
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Add flour and mix very well until it forms a soft dough aka roux.
- Add the milk slowly and whisk constantly.
- Add salt, black pepper and nutmeg.
- Keep whisking until it starts thickening.
- If the bechamel is too runny, add more flour to thicken. If it’s too thick, add milk.
- If the bechamel is “grainy”, run it through a strain and it’ll be dreamy creamy!
VEGAN CHICKEN SAUCE
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Vegan chicken pieces
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes- or 1 1/2 cups of freshly chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Dried rosemary
- Dried oregano
- Turmeric- Optional but I add it to everything lol
- In a pan, sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add all the spices and herbs and roast until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir.
- Add a splash of water and allow it cook for 15 mins.
- Once the chicken is cooked and the sauce is to the desired consistency, pull the chicken with 2 forks.
- Stir everything until all the pulled chicken is well coated.
- Don’t make the sauce too watery or it will all overflow when the lasagna is baking in the oven. The lasagna sheets don’t require a lot water to cook.
- In a deep oven dish, layer the chicken sauce, lasagna sheets and the bechamel.
- Sprinkle vegan cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake at 180ºC for 30 mins or until the lasagna sheets are cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Serve with a salad.
- Use a knife to test if the lasagna sheets are cooked yet.